Fall Events Begin with Homecoming
(September 8, 2022)
Ah, September! You are the doorway to the season that awakens my soul.
– Peggy Toney Horton
This Sunday is our official Homecoming Sunday at First Church, where we gather once again to see old friends, meet new people, and rekindle the feelings of peace and joy that we need so much these days. And this particular year, after we were kept apart for nearly three years by the pandemic, getting back together is particularly poignant.
I know Jim Moriarty has been hard at work on the music for Homecoming Sunday, along with the full Meeting House Choir.
Church Services on Sunday
In-Person Service begins at 10 a.m. Facemasks are optional if you are fully vaccinated.
Watch us on Facebook: We livestream our services to Facebook. You may view them live or on demand at www.Facebook.com/DanburyChurch/videos.
Fall Events and Programs at First Church
We at First Church have also lined up a number of special events this autumn to enrich our experience of worship for the whole family:
Sunday, September 11 – Homecoming Sunday
- 10 a.m. Homecoming Sunday: The whole Meeting House Choir will sing this Sunday morning!
- Ice cream and cake during Coffee Hour following the service.
- The Thrift Shop’s exciting new Opening Sale will be available for shopping after this Sunday’s coffee hour and services.
Game Night Begins on Sept 16
- Our popular Family Game Night and Dinner resumes Friday, September 16, with food and a Trivia Contest. Cost: $10 per family, or $5 per person. Please register on Eventbrite.
- Church School begins on Sunday, September 18. Call the office at 203-744-6177 to register your children now. Pat Moriarty is our new Church School director and is looking meeting your children.
- September 18: Our very popular Children’s Community Chorus resumes on Sundays at 1 p.m. Call the office at 203-744-6177 to register your children. An effort has been made to place gatherings with our young people on Sundays so that families can engage with activities without adding to their jammed weekday schedule.
- October 29: Howl with the wolves on Howl-O-Ween -- A field trip to the wolves for Halloween. We will meet at the Wolf Conservation Center at dusk (5 p.m.). We will be with at least two live ambassador wolves, and we will howl along with them as the sun sets. Costumes are encouraged. Space is limited, so adults and children please sign up early – call the office (203-744-6177) to save your spot! First Church will pick up the cost for young people. Tickets for adults are $20 and include environmental education about the challenges of protecting this important species. A trip for ice cream afterward is also included.
Real Theology Sunday on October 23
“How to have Respectful Discussions About Difficult Things.” Learn how to communicate in social settings with people who may have differing opinions from yours. Just in time for the midterm elections and holiday season family gatherings. This Fall’s first Real Theology Sunday will begin with Pastor Pat sharing the pulpit with a guest speaker, and follow up with a Q&A session in Annie Orr Hall after the service.
If you live in the Danbury area, I sincerely hope you’ll join us at church for Homecoming. Or, if you follow us on Facebook, I hope you’ll be watch us and sing with us!